Diskless Remote Boot in Linux (DRBL)
This document describes the steps to setup the "DRBL" environment in:
- Debian Squeeze (6), Wheezy (7).
- Ubuntu Precise (12.04), Quantal (12.10), Raring (13.04), Saucy (13.10).
- Fedora 14, 17,
- CentOS 5, 6,
- Scientific Linux 5.x, 6.x, RHEL 5.x, 6.x (Use drblsrv-offline)
- OpenSuSE 11.2, 11.3.
Sorry but it will NOT work in other distributions or versions.
The DRBL installation on GNU/Linux system is a little complicated to a newbie. If what you want DRBL is to use Clonezilla SE (Server Edition)
, we suggest you use DRBL live, which could be put on a CD or USB flash drive so you do not need to install and configure DRBL. You can find it on download page
2. Basic hardware requirements
- Check here for more details.
3. Setup the DRBL environment
I. Prepare the Linux server
II. Install the required packages on server
III. Setup the file system for the clients
IV. Prepare the clients
V. DRBL system administration
If newer DRBL packages are available, and you want to upgrade, you can do it by:
- Backup the important files, such as those files in /etc/drbl and /etc/dhcpd.conf or /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf, etc...
- Run "drblsrv -u" to uninstall all the DRBL-related packages
- Follow the step II, download the drbl main program, re-install and configure it again (i.e. "drblsrv -i" and "drblpush -i")
Sometimes if the versions are close, maybe you can try to upgrade the packages without re-install and re-configure it (i.e. just use apt-get update; apt-get upgrade or yum upgrade). However, this is not recommended, since some of the files will only be deployed to clients after drblsrv and drblpush are run.
To uninstall DRBL, run: "drblsrv -u", then follow it to uninstall DRBL and related packages.
6. Bug report
If you find any bug or any problem, please follow this to report:
- Excute "drbl-bug-report", then you will get a report (refer to this example). Please follow the the format to fill your description.
- Mail that to DRBL user mailing list drbl-user _at_ lists sourceforge net (You have to subscribe to that mailing list), or post that in the DRBL forum.
Please check this.